Friday, September 4, 2015

Famous Last Words: Week 2

This week was fantastic! I worked ahead for this course an I wrapped up Week 3! It feels good to stay ahead of classes like this!

I finished reading the second week of Ramayana: Public Domain Version. The readings went really well. At first, I was having trouble understand the readings, after the first week I changed from reading them myself to listening to the while following along. This greatly increased my reading comprehension and made the stories so much better. I really love how the whole story line stitches together. I also found the reading to be enjoyable independantly. I think my favorite reading this week the episodes were Hauman, the monkey god, goes to Lanka to save Sita. I found these episodes to be very descriptive and stimulating conceptually. To go along with this I think my best writing this week came from Week 3: Storytelling as I retold the story how Hauman saving Sita. When I first started writing it took me a couple tries to really nail down a good story line, but I think I made it work well!

73rd Plains Anthropology Conference
Outside of this class, my other courses are going pretty good. I am taking my capstone course this semester and in the Anthropology department it is an 8-week, half semester, course. This is pretty unusual for a capstone course and requires fast paced learning and research. My 15 page paper is due in less than 6 weeks now... AHHHH! That is so scary to write down. In other news I was accepted to present my research at the 2015 Plains Anthropology Conference! I am very excited for the upcoming opportunity!
I hope everyone elses semester is going really well!

4 comments:

  1. Christian, I am so glad that the audio was helpful! Years ago, there was a student in class with dyslexia who needed audio and I remember him saying how much that helped, and since public domain texts are all out-of-copyright, it's perfectly legal for me to make those audio recordings. I haven't posted the Mahabharata audio, but I will try to keep up with you; I'll work on that this week and weekend and see how far I can get with that!

    And that is so cool about going to the Plains Anthropology Conference! Fabulous - and October 13: that is soon! What an exciting this semester this is going to be for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christian, it is good to see that you found a method that allows you to comprehend the readings. I also enjoyed the story of Hanuman going to find Sita. I have never heard of a capstone that is a half semester course. I bet that it keeps you busy. Congratulations on being accepted to present your research at the Plains Anthropology Conference. Good luck at the conference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree about the listening option. I have made reading the online versions so much easier. It is difficult to get used to one reading style just to be introduced to another in the next reading. I almost always have to use the audio option for the poetry pieces in order to retain any information. Oh my goodness. I feel your pain in the half semester class. I took one of those before (not only that, but it was online). The teacher wanted us to read five books before the class even started. It was stressful! Good luck at the conference – I see it is coming up fast! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! I am working on trying to get ahead in this class. Smart smart man. I even felt bad reading about your 15 page paper, so I can only imagine how nerve wracking that must be for you. I haven't read the public domain version because, I took the plunge and bought Narayan's Ramayana and although it did cost money I really liked it and helped me understand the Ramayana better. I wish you luck in your endeavors and the rest of your semester!

    ReplyDelete